Crocheting is a favorite hobby of millions. Crocheting is more about creativity than about craft, but at the same time, it can be useful at home. All you need is a ball of yarn and a hook. You get a maximum of great ready-made ideas by using minimum of instruments.
The smallest element in crocheting is a crochet stitch. A pattern or motif consists of a crochet stitches. If you need to crochet something, there are different motifs and techniques of crocheting. There are direct or flat, and circular methods of crocheting. If one crochets the item on one side and, getting to the end, turns it around and crochets the other side, the method is called direct or flat. When the item is crocheted round always on the same side, it is the circular method. The method that should be applied in a certain situation depends on an item. For example, napkins or amigurumi toys are usually crocheted applying circular method, but when you want to crochet a scarf, flat method would be more suitable.
Crocheting has ancient roots. An accurate date when this decorative and applied art was originated is unknown. The written sources tell us that knitting become popular it the beginning of the 19th century.
Types of crocheting
The following types of crocheting are defined.
1. This type of crocheting is the most popular. A short hook is used. There is a set of basic crochet stitches. One can create a pattern rotating different crochet stitches or complete the entire work using similar crochet stitches. The work is started from a cable of chains.
2. It is also known as Afghan crochet. The main feature is that all crochet stitches lie on a hook. An item is made of cables of chains which serve as a base of it. Besides the crochet stitch is knitted in the front line, but thrown on in the purl line. A long hook of equal thickness with locking end is used for this type of crocheting. The locking end doesn’t let the stitches fall from the other side of the hook during the crocheting. Tunisian crocheting is very thick, it does not deformed when washed. It is used for making outwear and kid’s clothes.
3. This type has a simple technique. The pattern of drawn-thread crocheting consists of the net and the image inserted into it. If we imagine any picture as if it is black and white, the contour of the image will be stitches with double crochet, and the chains will create our background. Any image can be crocheted using drawn-thread technique. As in previous types, the cable of chains is the basis of the work.
4.For this type of crocheting you will need a hook and a special fork. The fork itself looks like curved u-shaped rod. One can choose between narrow and wide forks. You can create lines of different types. After the lines are crocheted they can be joint and combined. Different methods of joining the lines can also be applied.
5. Irish lace crocheting has two stages. The first stage is crocheting a lot of small motifs. The second stage is to join motifs. Different crochet stitches are used to crochet motifs and create whole laces from them. There are usually flower motifs.
6. This style of crocheting has come to us from the city called Bruges. Flemish lace is made in two stages. First, a long braid crocheted. Then we create a pattern using a braid. Finally, patterns knitted together. As a result we get a wonderful pattern.
What can I crochet?
Crocheting brings you a lot of opportunities to make your ideas come true. Decorate your house with crochet. Napkins, tablecloths, ornamental pillows, coverlets, rugs, blankets, lacy curtains, and almost endless variety of possible designs make them fun to crochet.
You can find Crochet free patterns here. Diversity of accessories that can be made with a hook is really huge: hats, scarves, shawls, adornments and even toys. Dear women, take a hook, a ball of yarn, a good scheme and start to learn more about crocheters and explore the technique and patterns.