Knitting socks is a very interesting and useful needlework. Hand-knitted socks will become a wonderful present, while keeping one’s feet warm in the cold weather. Knitting socks has certain basic rules. Using these rules, you may knit any socks - male, female or for children. You may change the color, texture or type of yarn, length, width and other parameters, but the method of knitting remains the same.
Picking up the right socks size
Knitting socks start from determining their size. There are certain standards of knitting socks. The size of socks is determined according to the foot’s length. Foot lengths and the required quantity of stitches (with the knitting density 30 stitches X 42 rows = 4inchesX4inches) are stated in the tables.
Knitting socks - the table of the quantity of stitches (stepped heel and wedge toe with stars)
Knitting socks- the table of the quantity of stitches (straight heel and wedge toe)
Knitting socks general rules
Socks are usually knitted on double pointed needles. The size of the needles and the yarn’s width are always shown in a certain knitting pattern. Anyway, you need to knit a sample to pick up the required knitting density. In our article, we use the knitting density of 30 stitches X 42 rows 4inchesX4inches.
Knitting socksconsists of 5 stages
1. To knit the top part of the sock, you need to cast on the quantity of stitches. This is indicated in the instructions or tables and you should distribute them evenly on 4 needles. The top part is knitted in a circle. The beginning of the circle is the centre of the back part of a sock.
2. Knitting the heel may be knitted in 2 ways. A stepped heel is knitted in 2 steps on the 1st and 4th needles. The 1st step is knitted first, and then the 2nd step of the heel.
The straight heel is also knitted in 2 parts. First, the heel flap is knitted and then the straight lower part of the heel.
In the next article we are going to dwell upon knitting the sock’s heel in more detail.
3. Knitting the heel gusset, you need to cast on the required quantity of stitches. It is indicated in the table, and from the edge of the 1st step, knit it from all needles. In every 2nd row you need to knit 3 and 2 stitches from the end on the 1st needle together, and the 2 and 3 stitches on the 4th needle together. Repeat this decrease of stitches until the quantity of stitches equals the stitches cast on in the beginning of work. For a straight heel, cast on the quantity of stitches, indicated in the table, at the side edges of the heel flap. Then make decreases, the same way you would for a stepped heel.
4. Knit the required foot length till the wedge toe.
5. The wedge toe is knitted by stockinette stitch. Make stitch decrease in every 2nd row. Knit together the knitted 3 and 2 stitches from the end, on the 1st and 3rd needles. 2 and 3 stitches from the beginning are knitted with the thread, connecting 2 adjacent stitches on the 2nd and 4thneedles. When the quantity of stitches on the needles equals ½ the amount of the initial quantity, continue to decrease the stitches. The last 8 stitches are joined with a crochet or tightened with a thread and tied together with a knot.
We are going to describe knitting socks with a wedge toe with stars on it, in the next article.