Latch hooking carpet technique : tips for successful weaving.
Carpet weavingis an interesting occupationthat came to usfrom distant centuries. Fromancienttimes, people were weavingcarpets andusing themto cover walls and floors. They were thehousehold adornment and a home value.There are manycarpet weaving techniques.In this articlewe will talk abouta technique, which usesa hookwith a latch,orLatch hook.This very simpletechnique will allow you tomaster carpet weaving quickly and create beautiful carpetsand tapestries.
Here are the toolsyou may need.The first andprimary toolis thehook witha latch.In addition,you may needscissorstocut theyarn.
Materials, yarnand threads
You can buy kits,whichinclude a pattern,a base material, and a necessary thread set.
You can alsocreate your owndesign.Thenyou will need:
- The base material isa thickmesh fabricorcanvas.Usually plasticcanvas is used.It is verythick andkeeps its shapewell.There are differentcanvas sizes.Keep in mind that the greaterthe number, thesmallerthe canvas cells will be.You can buyacanvaswith a pattern on it.
- You can useyarn and threads of completely differenttexture and composition. The yarnthickness varies from3/32 inches to10/32inches.
- Forthe Latch hooking technique,you will needto cut yarn into pieces of a certain length.The length of the yarn piecesdepends on howfluffyyou want your carpet to be.The average size is2½ inches.You can buyready-made yarn packs, with yarn cut intopieces of a certain length. Amongyarn manufacturers andproducers of ready-made sets for the Latch hooking technique we want to note Mary Maxim, Caron, and Darice.
Latch hook techniqueworkprocess
If you purchased a ready-made set, you canstart workingas soon as you unpack it and study the scheme.Lay outallthe yarnin front of yourself.Determine your starting point.It is betterto start withthe largescheme parts.
Ifyou decide to weave a carpet or a tapestry of your own design, you will have tocreate the pattern.For this purpose, you can use cross-stitching software.Having created the pattern youwill need to choosethe yarnand thebase for the work.
You cancalculate the canvas size by thescheme squares. Eachscheme square isaknot,respectively.Therefore, to calculatecanvas sizes estimate the width+2 inches, and length+ 2 inches.
Prepare yarnsthread as follow:If you haveyarn inhanks, you will havetocut it intomanygiven length segments.This is a laborious process.To do this youneed to makea template froma cardboard pieceequal to the yarn length and fold itin half.Neatly and evenly,wind the yarn on it and cutit from thefreetemplate edges.It is easier topurchaseready-cutyarn.
Making a knot
1. Take a yarn piece, foldit in half,and place on ahook.
2. Pass thehookunder thecanvas thread.
3. Take theworking yarnends andhook it ontothe hook ends.
4. Pullthe hookthread throughthe canvasand the resulting loop.
5. Secure theknot tightly.
Making knotsthis way, one by one, youcanfill inthe whole pattern.Fill thecanvas with knotsstarting with large elements of the same color.Make sure the threadsare even.
If you arenot satisfied withthe pile length andyou would like to make it shorter, thenyou can takescissors andcutthe uneven yarn.Itrequiresprecision and accuracy.
Securing the work underside
In order fora carpet ortapestryto serve for along time,especially if thiscarpet is going to be in household use, it is betterto fix itwith glue or adhesiveclothfrom the underside.This will help tostiffen thecarpet structure andsecureeach knot.
Carpetsand tapestries created by using Latch hooking techniquelook greatin almost any room, from the kitchen to the bedroom, bringing the color of the wall, or carpet, or sofa into textile art.