Usually, quilted goods consist of a great number of patterns with repeated pieces. A quilt may be composed of over 50 little pieces with the same shape. If you decide to cut out every little piece by hand, it will be very time-consuming and probably boring for you. This is why techniques of quick cutting fabric for quilting exist. Next, we will describe techniques for cutting out quilting patterns: stripes, squares and triangles. Remember, that while cutting out of blocks, you should always leave room for seams!
What we will need:
rotary cutter for fabric
fabric marker or pencil
Quick cutting fabric for quilting: long stripes.
You may need long fabric stripes as a main quilt piece. Additionally, fabric stripes may be used to make many other shapes such as squares and rectangles.
1. Fold fabric up in half, with the right side folded inside. Lay the fabric on a cutting mat on a table with the folded edge towards you. Then, carefully find the fold. Put the triangle to the edge so that the downside of the triangle, which forms the right angle, is right of the fold of the fabric. Next, we align our quilting ruler or usual long clear ruler on the other side of the triangle.
2. Pressing down firmly on the ruler with the one hand, pick up the rotary cutter in the other, and cut the fabric along the ruler edge. Try not to move the ruler. Try to cut smoothly and regularly along the ruler edge. You will then have a straight and neat right angled fabric. This is how we cut out the stripes.
3. Fold the fabric in half one more time. Now, we are going to cut 4 layers of fabric. The fabric edges should be folded very accurately. Measure off the necessary width of straight fabric edge for the stripes, and cut out the fabric stripes with the rotary cutter.
We advise to check the straightness and perpendicularity of the cutting line using a triangle.
Quick cutting fabric for quilting: squares.
We can cut squares out of ready-made fabric stripes.
1. Put 4 fabric stripes together and trim the ends.
2. Put the ruler at the edge of the stripes and measure the necessary width of the square.
3. Press down firmly on the ruler and cut out the squares one by one.
While cutting, check the square sides using triangle as well.
Quick cutting fabric for quilting: triangles half-squares.
Take the already cut fabric square and cut it diagonally.
Space for seams should be calculated using following method: 0,3inches on every side of the triangle and 0.7inches on at angle of the triangle.
Quick cutting fabric for quilting: triangles quarter-squares.
To make four triangles from the square, cut it diagonally twice. Space for seams should be the same: 0,3inches on every side of the triangle and 0.7inches at every angle.
We have described quick cutting fabric techniques for quilting. We hope these techniques will make the working process shorter and more engaging. By combining various fabric pieces, you will be able to create your own unique quilt.