A simple idea for baby quilt will be perfect for a beginner needlecrafter. The top blanket layer consists of four details. The basis of the composition is a grey elephant, performed in the appliqué technique. It is better to use cotton fabric for the upper face layer and lower back layer. The thickness of the filler depends on the season when you are going to use the blanket. It can be cotton, woolen, downy, or synthetic. Products for a baby performed in the quilting technique will always look great. They are very practical in use as well. It is better to use calmcolors if you plan to use this blanket for the baby’s sleep, because bright colors may irritate your baby.
What do we need for a baby quilt?
The size of a blanket is 40 inches Х 30 inches.
Scissors or a roller cutter
A sewing machine
A marker or a fabric pencil
We will need fabrics of the following colors:
Light green (fabric width 44 inches) length 20 inches
Light yellow (fabric width 44 inches) length 21 inches
White (fabric width 44 inches) length 8 inches
Grey 18 inches Х 15 inches
For the back layer: any material of yellow-green shades, not bright colors
(fabric width 44 inches) length 31 inches
Filler fluffy cotton or wool, sizes: 39,6 inches Х 29,6 inches
Adhesive paper for appliqué 18 inches Х15 inches
Step-by-step instruction and a pattern of the baby quilt
1. Download and print the appliqué pattern of an elephant so that it’s 17,5 inches Х 14,5 inches.
2. Transfer the appliqué outline to the grey fabric, adhesive paper for the appliqué.
3. The elephant’s tusk of white color, detail C cut out of the white fabric and stick using adhesive paper to the required place on the detail B (elephant’s body).
4. Stick the paper to the fabric from the back side of the detail B.
5. Draw a rectangle 20 inches Х 30 incheson the light yellow fabric. Leave margins 0,3 inches. Cut out. The detail A is ready.
6. Remove the protective layer from the back side of our elephant appliqué and stick it in the middle of the detail A. Iron everything to fix the glue.
7. Process the appliqué’s contourswith the decorative stitches (zigzag). Embroider the eyes.
8. Draw 2 rectangles 34 inches Х 1 inch on the white fabric. Bevel the rectangles edges with the angle 45 degrees to get a neatly frame angle afterwards. Add seam margins - 0,3 inch at each side. Draw 2 more rectangles 22 inches Х 1inch and also bevel the edges with the angle 45 degrees. Add seam margins - 0,3 inch at each side. Cut out.
9. Put together the frame D. Bait the rectangles at the edges of the detail A. Stitch all the sides of the frame D, then stitch together the angles of the detail D.
10. On the fabric of light-green color draw 2 rectangles 40 inches Х 4 inches. Bevel the rectangles edges with the angle 45 degrees to get a neatly frame angle afterwards. Add seam margins - 0,3 inches at each side. Draw 2 more rectangles 30 inches Х 4 inches and also bevel the edges with the angle 45 degrees. Add seam margins - 0,3 inches at each side. Cut out.
11. Put together the frame E. Bait the rectangles at the edges of the detail D. Stitch everything. The face side of our blanket in the quilting technique is ready.
12. Carefully smooth out and iron all the seams on the back side.
13. Put together the face layer, filler - 39,6 inches Х 29,6 inches and the back layer - 40,6 inches Х 30,6 inches. Fix the layers with pins and quilt with light-grey threads along the marked contours.
14. Cut out unnecessary threads of the face and back layer edges, tuck it inside the work and stitch.
A wonderful baby quilt is ready.